We have strengthened outsourcing of peripheral functions more than ever, to enable pharmaceutical manufacturers to concentrate management resources on new drug development. The Suzuken group captures these needs promptly, and offers pharmaceutical manufacturers a variety of services that take advantage of the collective strength of the group.
Functional expansion of our all-in-one contracting model
S.D. Collabo Co., Ltd., which provides manufacturer distribution services for pharmaceutical makers and contract distribution for orphan drugs, helps to resolve domestic distribution issues and offers product launch support for pharmaceutical companies. To meet the needs of foreign pharmaceutical companies trying to enter the Japanese market, the company collaborated with EP-PharmaLine Co., Ltd. to build an all-in-one contracting model that offers a broad selection of services including distribution for manufacturers, sales to medical institutions, and support for treatment outcome studies for orphan drugs. Working with Bushu Pharmaceuticals Ltd., S.D. Collabo is scheduled to begin manufacturing operations in September 2021 at a distribution center owned by Suzuken Group member Chuo Unyu Co., Ltd. It is also moving forward with the construction of the Greater Tokyo Distribution Center, the industry’s first facility integrating manufacturing and distribution. The start of operations there is targeted for 2024.
By condensing the supply chain and minimizing product movement, the company is aiming to achieve greater operational efficiency and distribution stock optimization.
Providing a variety of services to pharmaceutical manufacturers
We contribute to pharmaceutical manufacturers' cost reductions by contracting pharmaceutical manufacturing, operating manufacturer distribution centers and contracting wholesaler distribution. Further, we regard it as our social mission to contribute to the distribution of orphan drugs *1, ensuring that necessary drugs are delivered even if there is only one patient who suffers from an illness.
- *1Drugs with high medical needs but required by only a small number of patients
- *2Distribution for manufacturers: In the above diagram, "procurement distribution" means transportation of pharmaceutical raw materials to the manufacturer's factory; "production distribution" means transportation of pharmaceuticals from the manufacturer's factory to its warehouses; and "sales distribution" means transportation of pharmaceuticals from the manufacturer's warehouses to our wholesale distribution centers.
Realizing Quality Management in Line with Global PIC/S GDP Standards
In our contract distribution business for pharmaceutical manufacturers, which the Suzuken Group began providing in 2005, we practice strict temperature and quality control in conformance with GMP*1 standards. At our manufacturer distribution centers, we gained GMP-compliant ISO 9001 certifications in 2008, have updated those certifications to the 2015 version, and provide quality control in conformance with the PIC/S*2 GDP*3 global standards. With the start of operations at Chuo Unyu Co., Ltd.’s Medical Terminal (photo on page 42) in October 2018, more efficient joint pharmaceutical distribution is now being provided in the Kanto Area. In addition, efforts are being made to expand the area in which we are able to offer our Direct Cool*4 refrigerated distribution service for pharmaceuticals.
- ※1GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice): Manufacturing and quality management guidelines for pharmaceuticals
- ※2PIC/S: A combination of abbreviations for the Pharmaceutical Inspection Convention (PIC) and the Pharmaceutical Inspection Co-operation Scheme (PICS), which are two international cooperation organizations that aim to improve cooperation among governments and inspection authorities in the areas of GMP and GDP
- ※3GDP (Good Distribution Practice): Quality management guidelines for the transportation and storage of pharmaceuticals
- ※4Direct Cool: Temperature controlled service in which pharmaceuticals (28°C) are shipped from Chuo Unyu Medical Terminals throughout the country directly to pharmaceutical wholesale distribution centers
Overview of the pharmaceutical manufacturer support business
Contract manufacturing of pharmaceuticals
At our two factories in Fukushima and Kumamoto, we not only manufacture our own pharmaceuticals but we also carry out contract manufacturing for major pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Pharmaceutical distribution support
We offer comprehensive support in the orphan disease domain, investigational drug distribution support and pharmaceutical manufacturer distribution support.
We conduct marketing support for pharmaceutical manufacturers.